Saturday, October 11, 2014

The kitchen cabinets that won't die...

 

You're not going to believe this, but yes I reworked my kitchen cabinets yet again.  I just can't seem to get them to look like the perfect mini cabinets that are in my mind.  Ahhhh!  So anyway, above you see a new set, before the lower cabinet door has been cut out and also before the areas for the oven door and stovetop have been cut down.  And for some reason my counter looks a little uneven in this pic.  Another thing that I'm sort of embarrassed to mention is that I have been really undecided on color.  This particular piece has been various shades of white, yellow, brown, blue, and is now green.  Seriously you ask?  Yes there are a thousand coats of paint (including white primer between coats) on this tiny piece of wood that will someday be my kitchenette...


So I was searching around on pinterest to look for ways to add more dimension to my cabinets.  And also trying to figure out how to use mini hinges to make the doors more realistic.  I found an inspiration pic that I liked and modeled my cabinet doors after it.


And here they are painted green.  Also you may notice that they are not exactly the same size, but when they are added to the upper cabinets it is barely noticeable.


Here's another pic before they were painted.  I wanted at least one of the cabinets to have a higher shelf so that I could store tall cereal boxes underneath.  This is a 1:12 scale Fruity Pebbles box that I found as a printie to do a test fit with.  Also you can see that the cabinets were some shade of white at the time this pic was taken.


And here we have the cabinets with a green base color and white as the inside color.  I used the nail polish bottle to try and model where they might fit someday.  The oven has a hood that will hang underneath the left side of the cabinets so they will have to be high enough to allow room for that.  I need to stand one of my dolls up in the house though just to be sure that this isn't too high.  Either that or I need to find a tutorial for a mini step stool...

No comments: