Thursday, October 9, 2014

1:12 Scale Bathroom Expansion


So I finally gave in and decided that my bathroom had to be expanded.  I searched around online and found MDF lap siding from Houseworks that matches the outside of my country cottage.  It matches perfectly and I like that it is going to look like it was originally part of the house instead of just an addition.  The siding is very thin though so walls had to be built first to create the bigger room.  Then the lap siding squared up and added on.


Here I used tape to hold the walls up and make sure all of the pieces fit inside.  I added a section of flooring against the porch to widen the room.  Right now it looks pretty sloppy on the bottom, but that will all be covered up somehow.


I added a roof and right now it looks a little odd with the existing roof, but I have some ideas on how I will fix that later on.


I used lots of painter's tape to hold everything in place while the glue dried.  The top is slightly uneven because I couldn't find my level, but hopefully I'm the only person who will notice.


I started doing a dry fit of the lap siding just to see how well it matches up with the original house.  This is also when I decided that I may have to forgo a window in the bathroom.  Cutting through the flat wood was hard enough and I am afraid that I won't be able to cut through the siding without messing it all up.


Above I did a basecoat of white to prime the bathroom.


Here is a shot of the siding once the bathroom has been covered.  You can still see where the different pieces come together, but I am hoping after paint is added that it won't be quite so noticeable.

No comments: