Friday, January 30, 2015

1:12 Scale Dish Molds


Yep, I'm trying to improve my polymer clay skills again!


I had a few of these mini blue enamelware pieces that I've collected over the years.  And my cousin gave me this wooden shelf that was filled with many more pieces.  Some of the ones I had to begin with had magnets glued to the back and were meant to be used as decorative fridge magnets.


I decided to get these pieces out and see what I could do with my Amazing Mold Maker putty.  The pieces that I picked to try out this first round were a large round bowl with handles, a small pot and lid, and a smaller round bowl.


Above are my first molds.  I used small pieces of the putty to stuff into the open parts of the bowls and pan and then pressed the pieces into larger balls of the mixed putty.  The Amazing Mold Putty does not need to be heated itself, it sets up within 15 to 20 minutes.


After the mold was set I took pieces of clay and pushed them into each mold.  I then used the smaller pieces of mold putty that were set in the shapes of the openings into the clay.  I used translucent clay simply because it was the most recent one I had bought and was still very soft.  Mostly I was just being lazy and didn't want to take the time to condition my white clay.  These are my first four finished pieces - I probably shouldn't have photographed them on a white paper towel!  The Amazing Mold Putty can easily stand the 250 degree temps of my toaster oven so I didn't need to try and remove the clay prior to baking it.


Here is a little bit better view with the first coat of white paint.  You can see some of the lips of my bowls and pan aren't quite equal all the way around, but hopefully I will get better with practice :)


And above is my first set finished.  I painted the insides a color called Couscous - I love the buttery yellow color.  The blue color is called Cloudless.  I then used Mod Podge Super Gloss Brilliant to give them a sort of glazed look.  I used painter's tape to get the 2 colors on the middle bowl.  I love how it turned out and it sort of reminds me of Winnie the Pooh's honey pot!


Here is an overhead view of two of the pieces.  You can also see where I failed to protect my table and accidentally painted my table blue!


Here is a second set that I made.  I kept the Couscous color for the insides and the outsides I painted Cameo Pink.  I didn't do the yellow line around the top for this particular bowl.  Overall I think they turned out well?  The colors may not be for everyone's taste, but I think they would look really cute in a mini shabby chic kitchen :)

No comments: