Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Coupon Minis


This tiny Pringles label was cut out of another sales ad.  I looked up the dimensions of a Pringles can online and it said the can was roughly 10.5 inches tall with a 3 inch diameter.  Once again if my math is correct that would be 7/8th of an inch tall and 1/4th inch wide.  The width worked out to be just about the size of a standard hole punch.  I started out making lots of tiny punches out of an index card, but it nearly drove me crazy so I gave up and decided to look for something else that would be approximately the right size.  I have plenty of scrap wood dowels, but all of them were too wide.  I finally found one of those long erasers that go into mechanical pencils that was just about perfect.  I cut it down to size and then wrapped the entire thing in a piece of green construction paper with a dot of glue to hold it in place.

I also had an empty Gatorade bottle on my desk so I cut off a piece of the clear plastic and used the hole punch to make a clear top for the can.  The real Pringles cans have a lid that hangs over the edge just a bit so I used my scissors to cut a thin circle around the hole I made with the hole punch.  I then glued both of the pieces to the top of the can.

The label was a bit too long, but once I cut off a bit from the top and the bottom I was able to fit the entire picture onto my can.  I then used clear nail polish to paint the entire can and make it shine a bit.  Of course the sides and back are just plain green paper, but once the can is set on a shelf in a mini scene then you won't be able to notice.

Now I just need to learn how to make polymer clay chips!

No comments: