Monday, June 1, 2009

Tag - you're it!

Today I received a comment from Teresa at Inside the Mind of a MiniMadWoman saying that I had been tagged. Now I've only been blogging for a couple of months so I'm still sort of new at all of this. For a while I've been meaning to do one of those "meet and greet" posts like I've seen on other blogs where I introduce new followers. Well I've got 16 now so I'm a bit behind. So I'll take this tag as an opportunity to begin checking out everyone else's blogs and posting about them here.
Minimadwoman's profile says she is originally from Canada, but is currently living in the United States. I know she is a Greenleaf member because that is where I first met her and found out that she loves Pippi Longstocking! You can follow her blog and check out her minis here at http://minimadwoman.blogspot.com/. And it looks as if she's started a new gardening blog as well http://forgetthedishes.blogspot.com/.
Now for this "tag" I am suppose to list 6 things that make me happy and also tag 6 other bloggers. So here goes!
1. My family - especially my Mom, my Dad, and my sister Samantha - and of course all of my extended family as well. I have 32 total aunts and uncles and over 50 first cousins so saying that I'm from a big family is a bit of an understatement!
2. David - my wonderful boyfriend of over 5 years! I'm not sure exactly how long we've been together, but I know that I met him the week before my 23rd birthday and I'll be 30 this year :)
3. All of my wonderful friends - and I know that I am blessed when I saw there are too many to name!
4. My pets - Oscar who is a miniature Daschund. He'll be 8 years old on November 15th! And my two Red Eared Slider turtles Herman and Cecil. Herman was given to me by a friend who could no longer keep him as she had a toddler in her home and as you may already know reptiles do carry the risk of salmonella if you don't properly wash your hands. I'm honestly not sure how long I've had the turtles, but I know I've had them longer than I've known David so I'll say 7+ years. Herman's growth was a bit stunted when I received him as he had always been kept in the same plastic container that he came home from the pet store in. Both turtles now live in a 75 gallon tank and Herman actually started laying eggs so now his (her) name isn't exactly appropriate!
5. My hobbies - I of course love minis. I actually collected them for years as a kid and filled up multiple shadow boxes with them back at my parent's house. It was only February of this year that I bought a dollhouse on impulse and got back into the hobby. I love taking pictures and scrapbooking with them as well as posting them online. I'm also an avid reader - my friends at work have actually been bringing books in and leaving them on my desk (I really need to pay my library fine!). I am trying to teach myself how to crochet and I'm having a bit of trouble - most tutorials that I've found online are all for right-handers (southpaw here!). I have some beautiful things that my Granny Frye (my great-grandmother) crocheted and I'm hoping to follow in her footsteps. I also like gardening, which is another thing that I am a beginner at. So far the only thing that I've grown successfully is tomatoes, but I'm hoping to get more practice in this year.
6. Being green - I know that may sound weird, but attempting to be as environmentally friendly as I possibly can does make me happy. We try to be as green as our budget will allow - we like to buy from local farmer's markets, try to buy/make natural cleaning products, and learn about other ways to preserve the planet for future generations. I love when David's friends come over to hang out and they all know which can the plastic and glass goes into, which one is for the aluminum cans, and where the cardboard boxes go. And I think David even enjoys that fact that he's doing something positive when he helps me take everything out to the recycling bins. We also donate all of our aluminum cans to a local spay/neuter charity http://www.hollyhelp.org/. The trash can that the city provides is so large that it will fit 3 - 4 large garbage bags and David and I only have a full trash bag about every 2 weeks so our can may only go to the road once a month or so.
Now I'm off to explore some of your blogs and tag a few readers. I plan to post something about everyone who takes the time to read and follow my blog so this may take a while to finish, but I'm eager to see what everyone out there is up to! And since I'm thinking about her after writing this here is my favorite pic of my Granny Frye :)

No comments: