Monday, April 27, 2009

Goodbye to the weekend

Can't believe the weekend is already over! David and I did a ton of cleaning around the apartment this weekend - although not all of it was planned.  Our washing machine overflowed - we were alerted to the problem by my downstairs neighbor pounding on the door!  After all that mess I even had some time to work on my dollhouse. I used Skinny Sticks ($2.48 a bag @ Wal-Mart) and started putting down flooring in the bottom floor of the saloon. The Elmer's Probond glue worked wonders and held even the bowed sticks flat. I really started liking the look and I think it actually looks better than the sheet of wood flooring that I bought from Hobby Lobby ($9.99/sheet). I laid one of the Hobby Lobby sheets down beside the section of Skinny Sticks to show you the difference. The Hobby Lobby sheets are all one long section and don't look very realistic. The Skinny Sticks are maybe 5-6 inches long and when laid end to end look like a real floor. I went back to Wal-Mart and bought 3 more bags - they're way cheaper and look much better I think. Oh well, lesson learned. I've also changed my mind about what I want to do with the upstairs of the saloon. Now I'm not sure that I like the wallpaper that I put up, but given that I'm a beginner I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to get it off now! And at first I thought I wanted the upstairs to sort of be an apartment for the family that runs the saloon, but now I'm not so sure. I was watching Deadwood with David the other day and in one scene the tavern owner fires a pistol into the ceiling to get the attention of the crowd. No family (or Mother at least) is going to want to live above a saloon - it would be noisy anyway, right? I found some fabulous dolls on ebay that I would love to get for the saloon, but with money being for bills and household expenses right now it will just have to wait. I'm going to try to do as much as I can with what I've already bought and maybe a couple paychecks from now buy some new supplies. Oh and I included a pic of my newly cleaned workspace. I was so proud of myself - it's all organized and you can actually see the floor again!!!

No comments: