Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Anybody else a novice at editing html?

Trial and error.  That's how I've learned to update the html on my blog.  I've been experimenting with things such as the sidebar, the margins, the space between posts, etc.  I'm just trying to tweak the overall look.  I've never understood why blogs are all so smashed up in the middle of the screen - seriously, what's the point?

More to my point though, I finally figured out how to add a map to my blog!  I saw a blog forever ago where the author placed a "stickpin" in the location of each of her followers.  I thought it was just the neatest thing and I've wanted one ever since.  Anyway, I thought I'd share just in case any of you out there in blog land might like to add one too.

- First go to Google Maps
- Click in the upper left-hand side where it says "my maps."  At this point you'll have to sign in or creat a new account
- Next you'll click "create new map"
- You'll then add a title and description.  Then you'll have to choose if you want your map to be public or unlisted
- Then click done/save

At this point you can use the search box at the top to add locations to your map.  For instance you could search for New York City.  A map will appear on the right and on the left you will see:

New York City     Directions     Search Nearby     Save to     More

Click "save to" and it will bring up a list of your maps.  Pick the one you want to save the location to and it will place a stickpin in your map.

The only thing I can't figure out is how to add a "pin" to an actual country.  If I don't have the name of a city or state within the country for some reason I can't mark it.  Anyway, I've always loved maps for some odd reason so I'm really tickled with the way it turned out!

I think I'll play around and maybe make some more maps to share.  I'd like to do one for "places that I have been," and also one for "places that I'd like to visit."  Another cool feature of google maps is that after you've added a location you can add pictures and videos that you have saved on your computer to the map.  That way when you email the map or add the map link to you webpage other people can see your content for that location. 

I think it would be fun if let's say I took took the pictures from my trip to New Orleans from a few years back and used a map of the city to share the places I visited.  I could tag the sandwich shop where I had my first muffaletta, where we stood to watch the Mardi Gras parade, and the bar in the French Quarter where we toasted with Hurricanes!

If anybody tries it out and makes a cool map please feel free to share :)

No comments: