I've been working on my journal a bit more. Above you can see the inside pages once the front and back covers were removed.
In order to make tabs for additional pages I measured the portion of the pages that were inside the original journal spine. They were approximately 1-1/2 inches in width so I cut cardstock pieces 3 inches wide in order to fold them in half. I then used the original pages to judge where my holes should be punched. And then to add stability I put reinforcement labels on each side of the punches.
For now I'm using 3 inch metal loose leaf binder rings to hold everything together. So far they seem to be easier to work with than tying everything back together with string.
Here is a shot with the covers added back. You can see how the gel medium helped to seal the front cover. Now there aren't any crumbling edges to worry about. I may go back over it one more time just to be sure.
I think 2 inch binder rings may have been a better size to start with, but once the journal is filled with extra pages it may not look quite so bulky. I actually kind of like the way the metal accents the otherwise natural look of the book. I saw a Pinterest pin once where binder rings were used to make a book out of greeting cards. I have boxes full of cards that I've collected over the years, things I couldn't throw away like birthday, Christmas, or congratulations cards from graduation.
Now I just have to start figuring out what I want to write about...!
Happy Friday everyone!