Monday, December 28, 2009

Making mini quilts - or at least my attempt at one :)

I've been seeing lots of topics recently on other blogs and also on Greenleaf about making mini quilts.  I will admit right up front that I am a horrible "sewer" (is that even a word?!) - needless to say I can barely sew a button!  I have my little handheld Singer and that helps a bit.  Anyway I love quilts and I'm always up for learning an new and easy way to make minis.  There was a great topic on Greenleaf that covered making quilts out of paper towels - http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1038

I haven't tried it with paper towels yet, but the topic also went on to explain that you could iron thin fabric onto wax paper and then send that through your printer.  I had some really thin cotton fabric that we used to practice tying bandages with leftover from first aid class years ago.  It ironed onto the shiny side of the wax paper really well, but I had mixed results when it went through the printer.  It would print really well on one side and eat the wax paper on the other side or vice versa.  So after wasting all kinds of ink I decided to try another approach.  I took a sheet of cardstock and cut the fabric just smaller than the piece of paper and then used masking tape to secure down all of the edges.  And voila it shot straight through my Lexmark printer and came out perfect!  The quilt pattern that you see below is a free printie from Jim's website http://www.printmini.com/printables/quilts/index.shtml - you should be able to click and make it bigger.  I just love the way it turned out and I am totally on the lookout for more quilt patterns now.  If you know of any great ones PUH-LEEEEEEEEEEASE share!!!  Once I have this one cut out, stuffed, and sewed together (with my Singer of course!) I'll post an updated picture.

No comments: