Friday, March 22, 2013

DIY Upholstered Mini Chairs and a blog recommendation

I want to give a blog recommendation today to one of the best mini blogs that I have found in a really long time.


Kris has some of the best tutorials that I have ever found.  Let me explain a little bit by saying that when it comes to tutorials I need alot of help.  I need detailed instructions and lots of pictures.  This blog does exactly that.  So far I've tried three of her tutorials and each one has turned out fabulous!  She has so many diy's - you can build something for each and every mini room that you could possibly think of.

The first tutorial that I tried was for an upholstered mini chair.  I won't even try to repeat her tutorial because I don't know of any possible way to improve upon it.  This is really a fabulous tutorial.


She includes patterns that you can print out to use as you build your chair.  The easiest way that I found to do this was to open the pictures in a Microsoft Word document.  She includes one inch squares beside each of her pictures that help you to get the scale right.  In Word I first made sure the ruler was showing on my screen.  I then right-clicked on each of the images, made sure "lock aspect ratio" was clicked and then changed the size until the scale square matched up to one inch on the ruler.  My patterns printed out perfectly and I used a ruler to verify the measurements.


Kris uses cardstock, matboard, and 3/16" foamcore to build her chairs.  All very inexpensive materials.  I was able to buy the foamcore at Walmart.  I did have to go to Michael's for the matboard though so I used a 40% off coupon. She also uses this stuff called Thermaloam to pad her chairs.  I couldn't find any of this stuff at Michael's so I substituted layers of white felt to pad my chair.  She also has this incredible way to pipe her chairs that I really wanted to try out, but I ran out of fabric before I got to that step.  I painted crochet thread and used that to pipe instead.  The one thing I would change is that I would use thicker crochet thread next time as mine didn't quite look as nice as hers.


Tada!  And here's my chair!  I adore this fabric - I think it makes such a comfy looking chair.  You can see in this pic that my piping isn't quite as noticeable as I'd like it to be.  I'll probably go back over with new piping once I've bought some thicker thread.

Happy Friday everyone!



No comments: