David's sister Lisa sent me some amazing HOM miniature kits for Christmas and I am so excited to start putting them together. The first one I have begun working on is the Chippendale Canopy Bed / Circa 1750 - 1790. Below is a description of the bed frame that was included in the assembly and finishing instructions:
"This type bed was also known as a "bedstead", meaning wooden frame with mattress. Although a few high-post bedsteads in the Queen Anne style have been found in our country, the story of fine American bedsteads really begins at about 1735 with those having square block feet or ball and claw feet in the Chippendale style. The high-post bedstead became an article of elegance in our country, as it was in England, with the increase in wealth and the building of fine houses. The wood used in finer bedsteads in America was generally mahogany."
I used a hemp beading board and straight pins to hold the pieces together while the tacky glue dried and of course a level to measure how straight my work was along the way. First I put the four base pieces together.
Next I glued the two side rails and the end rail.
While the glue was setting I used a drill and the pattern provided to drill holes for the string that will later support the mattress.
Next I glued the two part corner posts and the block feet. I also centered and glued the headboard to the frame.
Next I assembled the canopy frame. There were two side pieces and four middle slats. My two middle pieces are just a little off, but once the canopy is covered in fabric no one will notice.
Next I added the four corner posts. This was by far the most difficult part. I worked for a long time to get everything level.
Next I turned the bed upsidedown and glued the canopy frame on. The above picture shows all of my progress so far. My next step will be deciding what color stain to use. Then of course stringing the bed and deciding on fabric for the bedding.
More updates coming soon! Until then happy Wednesday everyone! :)