Jessie's Best Breakfast
1 thick piece of Texas Toast
1 slice of bacon
shredded cheddar cheese (as much as you like)
1/4 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon butter melted (or 2 tbsp. if you prefer)
pinch cayenne pepper
Most of this recipe is really simple things that everyone already knows how to do so I won't go into detail on those. The hollandaise sauce is what really makes this recipe yummy. David doesn't care much for it so I had to tweak my recipe in order to make "hollandaise for one."
1. Take one of the eggs and separate the egg yolk from the egg white. The easiest way I have found to do this is to break the egg in half and pour the insides back and forth between the two pieces allowing the egg white to fall out while keeping the yolk intact. You can have a bowl waiting underneath to catch the egg white.
2. Whisk the egg yolk and the lemon juice in a stainless steel bowl until it has doubled in volume.
3. Place the bowl over a saucepan with barely boiling water. If you have a double boiler you could of course use that instead. Don't allow the water to touch the bottom of the bowl and constantly whisk the mixture. You don't want the egg to get too hot or it will start to scramble.
4. Add in the melted butter and continue to whisk until the mixture has again doubled in volume.
5. Remove the bowl from the heat and whisk in the cayenne pepper and salt. I love cayenne pepper so I usually add a bit more.
6. While you are doing steps 1 through 5 you can also be working on the simple parts of this recipe. Toast the piece of bread. Scramble the remaining egg - you can add in the leftover egg white if you so choose, salt, and pepper etc. Cook the piece of bacon as well.
7. Now it's time to put everything together! Top the bread with the scrambled egg. Crumble the piece of bacon and add that as well. Cover with as much shredded cheese as you would like. Then pour the hollandaise sauce over everything.
I hope everyone has a great Friday!