Friday, September 2, 2011

Paper Crafts - Origami Lucky Stars


I have always loved origami.  It's very methodical - I enjoy the careful deliberate precision of it all.  As odd as it may sound it's similar to how I feel about mixing drinks.  I love the detailed order of a great drink - the sequence of liquors, the measuring, the pouring, the chilling, the shaking, the straining, everything from picking the appropriate glass to the perfect garnishment.  I could never be a bartender though - I'd be much too slow.    But having lots of pretty barware does give me something to display my origami in - lucky coincidence :)

I stumbled across the Lucky Stars pattern while searching for paper lanterns online.  It was so simple and cute that I just fell in love.  I can imagine so many ways to decorate with these.  You could scatter them across a party table instead of using confetti or maybe fill a bowl full of pink and blue stars for a baby shower.  Even more fun is that you could write tiny message inside before folding the stars up - like congratulations, or Bible verses, or even favorite quotes.


My Mom has this cool looking vintage paper cutter that I borrowed for this project.  I don't know if you can see it well enough in the photograph, but the cutter was made by Milton Bradley Company.


Each strip of paper is 1/2 inch wide and 11 inches long.  I won't begin to try and type out a tutorial since there are already so many wonderful ones online.  The following link shows extremely easy to follow instructions in case you would like to try folding Lucky Stars yourself.

I have folded dozens of little stars since I discovered the tutorial.  I found that it is best to start out with basic printer paper as it is much thinner and easier to fold.  As you can see some of my star shapes leave a bit to be desired.  Once I get better I have lots of gorgeous scrapbook paper that I want to try out as well.


Lucky-Star-Cocktail


Lucky-Star-Shots

I've had so much fun that I picked up a couple of origami books at the library the other day.  Right now I'm reading Origami in Action by Robert J. Lang and Classic Origami by Paul Jackson.  If I find some cool new patterns I will be sure to share them :)

That's all for now - I'm off to celebrate David's birthday this weekend and we're heading out to the Tennessee / Montana game Saturday.  I hope everyone has a wonderful and safe weekend - see you next week blogland!







1 comment:

Lisa Scanio said...

These are really amazing! Giovanni and I just read a book that had origami animals in it. I may have to give it a try with him!