"These are a few of my favorite things..."
I've been running around singing songs from The Sound of Music all day. Don't you just love that movie? David has requested that I please stop singing - he hates musicals. He even hates it when his favorite tv show has an episode where they break out into song. I pointed out the fact that he loves The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Same difference, right?
So anyway, I've seen it done before and I thought it would be fun to do a version of "my favorite things" posts for my blog. My first favorite thing is this wonderful pair of Christmas socks! I love silly socks - the more colorful and flashy the better. I know it may sound silly because most of the time no one can even see them, but it makes me smile!
Now to explain the "disaster averted" part of this post. It has been snowing on and off since December 1st here in Tennessee and it is so cold right now. This morning was a record low of 5 degrees! We use electric space heaters for the apartment, but there are also wall heaters in some of the rooms. Years ago when we first moved in the landlord told us that all of the wall heaters had been disconnected. Well obviously they missed one because I woke up this morning to a strange burning smell. I walked around the apartment trying to figure out what it was when I realized that the wall heater in the second bedroom was on. I'm assuming since it was so cold that the furnace has some sort of emergency thermostat and it kicked on automatically. The second bedroom is sort of our catch-all room, it has the turtle aquarium, my desk and computer, David's weight bench, and all of my crafting supplies. The house that our apartment is in is very old so the closets are almost non-existent. I have two 48 gallon plastic totes that I keep all of our extra linens in for that reason. The totes and my desk are against the wall where the heater is - and since the heaters were "disconnected" I never worried. Needless to say I was not a happy camper this morning. I have since searched the entire apartment to make sure that nothing is touching or even close to a wall heater. It's scary though, because the whole situation could have ended much differently.
So everyone out there please be careful with your heaters and such this winter! Stay safe and have a happy Wednesday :)